Looking for another hearty and heart-healthy recipe? Here’s one more. Smothered Pork Chops! Delicious and by using lean, natural and organic ingredients you can make a savory and light meal to satisfy the hungriest of appetites.
Smothered? Not what you think! Sweet Red Peppers, Onion and Garlic sit atop of a lean boneless pork chop. In between, is exactly one tablespoon of uncooked rice, that doubles once cooked- still keeping the carb count down. A “hidden” yet welcomed ingredient once you cut in to take a bite.
This is a tasty one-skillet meal that can be made ahead and then warmed up in time for dinner… Or lunch.
My husband cooked this one up for a date night in and did a fantastic job! We used organic and natural ingredients, as well as, trimmed the pork chops further to make them extra lean. We each had the planned surplus servings for lunch the next day- just as yummy!
What do you think? Interesting to see more gentlemen liking and following the heartier light recipes I’ve posted. Ladies, this one is pretty low in carbs, only about 2 tbsp of cooked rice at completion and satisfying! Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS: Makes 4 servings.
2 clove(s) Garlic, fresh , smashed
1 pound(s) Lean boneless pork chop, trimmed, raw, four 4 oz chops, washed, patted dry
1 tsp Salt, table, divided
1 tsp Pepper, black, freshly ground, divided
4 spray(s) Cooking spray, divided
1 Tbsp Oil, olive, divided
1 large Onion (s), uncooked, Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
3 medium Peppers, sweet , red, raw, or a variety of bell peppers , thinly sliced
½ cup(s) Rice, white, raw, long-grain, rinsed and drained
28 oz Canned crushed tomatoes
1. Rub garlic all over pork; reserve garlic. Next, rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper all over pork.
2. Coat a large heavy pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, sear pork chops until nicely browned, about ◴ 2 minutes per side; remove pork and set aside.
3. Off heat, coat pan again with cooking spray; add 1/2 tablespoon oil. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and cook until garlic starts to turn golden and caramelize, about ◴ 1 to 2 minutes (do not allow garlic to burn). Add onions and sauté until onions turn translucent and become golden, scraping bottom of pan occasionally to incorporate drippings, about ◴ 10 minutes; remove onions and set aside.
4. Off heat, coat pan again with cooking spray; add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and set over medium heat. When hot, add peppers and sauté until tender, about ◴ 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
5. Add pork back to pan; top each pork chop with 2 tablespoons uncooked rice. Spoon tomatoes over pork; season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Tightly cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for ◴ 20 minutes. Spoon peppers and onions over top and cover again; cook until rice is tender, about ◴ 10 to 15 minutes. Yields 1 pork chop and about 1 cup rice with vegetables per serving.
Total 9 pp per serving. Feel free to add a fresh salad on the side and serve hot off the skillet.
Iliana Taleno Swain is Miami’s up and coming Social Events Planner. She is an expert in designing events that create everlasting impressions. Former Visual Brand Marketing Manager in the Fashion Industry she specialized in VIP Client social events. As a mom-preneur herself, Iliana is now helping busy housewives, moms and professionals create impressive events. Trust her training and expertise to design an incredible event that will impress you, your guests and on occasion, your clients, too! Contact her today for a complimentary Event Consultation: email@example.com | 305.482.1211